This tutorial will guide you on how to install qBittorrent on Debian 10. For those who didn’t know, qBittorrent is an open-source BitTorrent client that aims to provide a free software alternative to μTorrent, available for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, and FreeBSD.
While writing this article we assume you have at least basic knowledge of Linux, know how to use the Terminal/shell, and most importantly, you have a stable version of Debian installed. The installation is quite simple and you will need to be logged in as a root user, if not you will need to add ‘
sudo‘ to the commands in order to get root privileges. We will show you the step-by-step installation of qBittorrent on a Debian 10 (Buster).
- A system/server running the following operating systems: Debian 10 (Buster).
- It’s recommended that you use a fresh Debian OS install to prevent any potential issues.
non-rootsudo user access to the
root user. We recommend acting as a
non rootuser, however, as you can harm your system if you’re not careful when acting as the root.
Table of Contents
- qBittorrent Features:
- Install qBittorrent on Debian 10 Buster
- Polished µTorrent-like User Interface
- No Ads
- Well-integrated and extensible Search Engine
- Simultaneous search in many Torrent search sites
- Category-specific search requests (e.g. Books, Music, Software)
- RSS feed support with advanced download filters (incl. regex)
- Many BitTorrent extensions supported:
- Magnet links
- Distributed hash table (DHT), peer exchange protocol (PEX), local peer discovery (LSD)
- Private torrents
- Encrypted connections
- and many more…
- Remote control through Web user interface, written with AJAX
- Nearly identical to the regular GUI
- Sequential downloading (Download in order)
- Advanced control over torrents, trackers and peers
- Torrents queueing and prioritizing
- Torrent content selection and prioritizing
- Bandwidth scheduler
- Torrent creation tool
- IP Filtering (eMule & PeerGuardian format compatible)
- IPv6 compliant
- UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support
- Available on all platforms: Windows, Linux, macOS, FreeBSD, OS/2
- Available in ~70 languages
Install qBittorrent on Debian 10 Buster
Step 1. Update
Before we install any software, it’s important to make sure that our system is up to date by running the following
apt commands in the terminal:
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade sudo apt install snapd sudo snap install core
Step 2. Installing qBittorent on Debian 10.
Install qBittorrent using Snap.
To install qBittorrent by Snam, simply type the following command:
sudo snap install qbittorrent-arnatious
Install qBittorrent from the Debian default repository.
Run the following command to install qBittorrent.
sudo apt install qbittorrent
Step 3. Accessing qBittorrent.
Once successfully installed the package, click activities and open the menu, and type
Congratulations! Now you have successfully installed qBittorrent. Thanks for using this tutorial to install qBittorrent on Debian 10 Buster. For more interesting articles like this please subscribe to our newsletter.